Friday, September 28, 2007

Suzy Homemaker

Well, the last couple weeks have consisted of me staying at the land almost the whole time and just working on the computer. When I run out of battery life (no electricity at our house), usually cooking meals, shopping at the market for food, doing laundry, random stuff usually takes up the rest of the day. Either I go into town and I am able to charge my computer or sometimes if it has been sunny enough outside, I am able to charge my computer at the house by our solar-powered charger. Since Tara and Kaitlin are both gone every morning teaching English and music at various local schools in the area. David and Brent spend their days, at least recently, cutting down trees and clearing the jungle. After even just a few hours of working, they come back covered in soot and dirt from burning and carrying wood. Quite a sight! Their pearly white smiles really shine through!J So that leaves me to hold the fort down! It gets really quiet at times, such a change from eight people all talking at once!!

This last Friday I was Miss Suzy Homemaker! Haha…David, Brent, and Manuel left in the morning for Masisea (former campaign site that we are doing some follow-up work at) for the weekend. Jenni had been town the last few days and who knows really when she’ll be back! Tara and Kaitlin had left for the day on a field trip to the zoo with one of their classes. So that leaves me!! Mauro and Edwin (two of the Peruvian workers) were outside working and since they speak pretty much no English and I speak very very little spanish, it made for a pretty quiet day. Cleaning house, making lunch, washing clothes pretty much took up Friday. I got stung by a wasp in the morning, which was a new experience for me, but it was all good. Thankfully it wasn’t a lot of African Killer bees, of which we have hives close to the house. Bad idea! I really had a lot of fun though on Friday cause it totally reminded me of Fridays back home: listening to music while cooking and cleaning, making it quite fun preparing for Sabbath. Yesterday, was a really great Sabbath! First off, it was absolutely beautiful outside! The last few days had been quite overcast with smoke, so not so pretty. Sabbath was crystal clear blue skies with white fluffy clouds high in the sky. Of course, it also means it’s gonna be hot, but that’s ok every once in while. I was able to play the piano for church, which was fun, but since the piano is out of tune and some of the keys don’t work, it was interesting. It has been such a blessing to hear these people sing. Some of them don’t have the greatest singing abilities, but that doesn’t seem to stop them from singing. It is so great to come to church and hear everyone singing their hearts praising God! I had a lot of fun playing the piano, mostly because they are all so forgiving with all my sight-reading mistakes, not to mention that Spanish songs are written differently from English, at least it seems like it. In the afternoon, the church had choir practice and so I played the piano for that as well. I am so blessed every time I go to visit the church because they are all so thankful and blessed by all of us SM’s singing/playing talents or attempts as they may be. It really is amazing!!

No comments: