Thursday, April 24, 2008

Less than a week!!

My time here in Peru is rapidly drawing to a close and it is with deep sadness that I am saying good-bye to the people I have befriended and the place I have called home for the past few months. It seems like just yesterday we all arrived here, but really nine months of crazy adventures and memories have take place. There is still much I need and want to do before I leave, but with God's help my stress will subside and I will be able to do all that I want before I leave.

The 3rd week of March we held a clinic in Nueva Era, a Shipibo community just out of Yarinacocha. The week was quite successful, with lots of people passing through medical and our dental team saw record numbers. Brent's family was able to join in on the fun and help out a bunch at clinic, so that was a huge help. Nice to meet you guys!! blessings

The next week, my family came down to visit, which was quite the time. I had a great time seeing them and it was awesome to be able to show them all that we have been doing, meet the team and make the project much for "real." On Friday afternoon, my dad tripped and fell on one of the streets in Pucallpa, dislocating his shoulder, so we had quite an adventure seeing firsthand Peruvian healthcare. My dad had to be put under general anesthesia and the doc put the joint back in place. Thankfully it all went well, God blessed us with some good connections to doctors, and we were on our way after a few hours. Unfortunately, my dad has since re-dislocated it and so is going to be having outpatient surgery the day before I arrive home, so please pray for him!! Well, my family was all good sports about the whole thing and the whole time here and they had a good time here!:-)

Our dental team has had the privilege to hold 2 more mini clinics in 2 different places in the last couple weeks. The first clinic was in Bena Jema where we held clinic in the SDA church. We were there for three days and saw quite a number of patients, though the numbers weren't as high as our previous clinic. During these clinics Brent and I were training in Willem, who is going to be taking over dental after we leave. The second clinic we had was at km. 13 San Juan. We were there for 2 days and saw a good number of patients. It was quite fun to play with the kids and get to know the community a bit. I was able to spend some time talking with the Shipibo women and learn a little more about how they live. One of the ladies actually walks around Pucallpa selling her necklaces, purses, bracelets, and other little "touristy" items around the square. So I run into her every once in a while and talk. These clinics have been quite nice for me, at chance to pull some more teeth, get to know a new community, and talk to others about Jesus.

In less than a week, four of us will be flying up to Iquitos to see the Amazon River and see some "real" jungle. There is another Adventist non-profit up there (People of Peru Projects) and so will be getting to know that team for a few days. Then its down to Lima and a day of surfing and sandboarding before heading home. I am quite excited for the upcoming adventures and travels, but really I'm quite sad about leaving this place. This week is the week of "lasts." Last time eating my favorite meal at the vegetarian restaurant, last time eating fries, last night in my apartment, last time buying at the market, etc. the list could go on forever and then I get quite sentimental and it's no good!:-) I think the thing I'm going to miss most are the people, especially the people I have been working, eating, living, sweating, laughing with. Each and every one of them are amazing and unique. We have all had a great time and experienced many different things that will forever bond us together, that nobody else will completely understand. God definitely had a hand in putting this team together and I have been blessed beyond belief this year with such awesome friends aka my brothers and sisters. I will miss them all terribly. Almost all of us are returning to the States either to continue schooling (Brent, Tara, Kaitlin, David, and me), finding that perfect job (Kristin), or getting married (congrats Emily!!). but it will never be exactly the same. Dr. Mathews, Willem, and Jenni are all still here in Peru and are planning on staying a while. But I must end this now because I will start to cry...:-) besides I have much to do before I leave! argh...until next time Blessings

No comments: