Friday, August 3, 2007

Well, I’m here safely in Peru, to be exact km 38 at the main house. The trip over went super smoothly and nobody lost luggage or anything. God really was with me throughout the whole flight over. I was stressed out because one of my suitcases was overweight and my carry-on was absolutely huge, but thankfully I had no problems on any of the flights. On our flight over to Pucallpa, the five of us girls had tons of luggage and totally went over the limits, but the airline didn’t even charge us, which is amazing!! God really watched over all of us.

My flight left at about 6am from Sacramento, CA and I flew to Houston, TX. I was able to catch up on some sleep, which I was very thankful. After getting to Houston, I met up with Kaitlin, who is another SM who will be teaching English. The layover in Houston was about 3 1/2 hrs. We then boarded the plane to Lima. The flight was about 6hrs, which seemed liked a long time for me. Since I don’t know hardly any Spanish (I can understand more than I speak) I had my first experience on this Peru trip with communicating with people who don’t know English. I sat next to a cute older lady who didn’t know any English and since I don’t really know Spanish, it was kind of awkward at first. Thankfully, the lady on the other side of me could translate, so I was given my first unofficial lesson in Spanish!

The flight over to Pucallpa was beautiful! We were able to see the Andes mountains, though there wasn’t much snow on the peaks. On the jungle side of the mountains, everything was soo green. So much water everywhere. The rivers slowly meander through the trees, it´s quite amazing!

Peru is a really beautiful place, though the cities I’ve been to so far have been quite dirty. I have had so much fun riding around Lima and Pucallpa just observing the people and their way of life.

Last night I was able to look up at the stars and see millions...We are right below the Milky Way and it is just breathtakingly beautiful. The sky is soo clear and I can just see forever!! I´m going to try to take a picture, but we´ll see.

1 comment:

sdatim said...

Hey Laura,
Praise the Lord you made is safe and sound. I've been praying constantly. And just looking at your email, it looks like we know some of the same people, Ish's, Broussan's, Sedric, etc. I hope all is well and will keep in touch. Please let us know if you ever get lonesome for something from the states and we'll have to send a care package.

God bless,
Tim